Thursday, May 21, 2009

Is Fear Stopping You From Going For the Gold?

Over the last few weeks, when I've been in line at the store or just picking up my daughter from school, it's been hard to avoid hearing people comment on the latest catastrophe that should have us all distraught. Some people seem to focus on the media's forecast of doom and gloom geared at making the public fearful and outraged. The problem with this is that it's very difficult for us to move toward what we want in our lives if we refuse to let go of what doesn't work because we're afraid and have too little faith. Edmund Burke put it this way, "No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear."

This reminds me of when I was a kid and learning how to swim. The Instructor told us to hold onto the edge of the pool with our hands and then to kick our feet in the water. This was an exhilarating experience and I looked forward to cruising around the pool with the agility of an Olympic champion. The only thing stopping me from realizing my fantasy was letting go of the wall. That's because, I'd seen other children let go and then start to panic. They hadn't listened to the Instructor's directions and began to flail around gasping for air and then swallowing water, which of course made things that much worse.

I wanted to swim, but I was afraid to let go of the wall. My fear of what might happen stopped me from going for the gold that day. Thankfully, as the summer progressed I felt more comfortable in the water and my trust in my Instructor grew. I knew that if something were to go wrong, that she was there to help me; I wasn't alone. It works that way in life too. Many times we are so busy looking at the setbacks others are experiencing that we don't realize that we have taken our focus away from our own objectives and our unique purpose. We have forgotten that we are not alone in our efforts. If we follow the instructions we have been given and trust that The Creator is there to help us, then we can "Go for the Gold" without fear and excess hesitation!

This week, I ask that you identify one area in which fear is preventing you from letting go of the wall. What truly scares you about this thing? Write down what you've acknowledged.

I challenge you to then list at least 3-5 approaches you can take to work around, over or under this area. It's time to stop letting fear cause us to focus on what we don't want and start having faith in the possibilities that lie ahead for us. Go for the Gold!

Wende Sanders "The Starting Over Coach" is a speaker, life coach, and entrepreneur. Her mission is to provide hope and help to people that are ready for change in their lives or careers. She accomplishes this through her coaching and interactive workshops. Specializing in helping women "start over" and create their ideal lives, her motto is "Dream BIG... Take Action!"

Subscribe to her FREE, inspirational e-newsletter at http://www.wendesanders.com

No comments: