Monday, May 5, 2008

Individuality - Your Key to Greatness

For the better part of my first 32 years on this planet, I struggled to find something that I could do that would make me successful. All I knew for most of that time was that I wanted to be rich, I wanted to be known, and I wanted people to like me. Respect would have been a good thing too, but at that point, I was willing to sacrifice it, if necessary, to get the other three.

I tried many different good jobs , hobbies, businesses, and projects trying to find my thing. It seems like I had a different business card every month. It became a game to see if I could actually deplete my 250 count of cards before I was on to something else. I didnt have a clue. I had no idea what I wanted to do when I grew up.

One Friday morning, while I was on vacation and having breakfast with my wife, at a restaurant called Spoodles in Disneys Boardwalk Resort, I had an epiphany. Bam! There it was, out of nowhere. My life finally made since! I dont know what it is about that place (Disneyworld) but it always seems to get my dream wheel spinning. Faster than you could say Jimmie Cricket, all of the pieces of the puzzle came together.

It became crystal clear to me that I was never going to find my dream job. I was going to have to create it. And all of the ingredients that I would ever need to put this wonderful career together were already in place. Now it was just a matter of bringing them together in time, and with careful planning. You see, at this point in my life, I had already had three defining moments in my life: when I started playing the saxophone, when I saw a motivational speaker for the first time, and when I caught the entrepreneurial spirit back in college. Now I was having the fourth defining moment, and it was telling me that my vocation would be built on a unique mix of all three.

I finally understood how all of my talents, gifts, and interests fit into my life. They would eventually work together to allow me to touch the lives of people through the spoken word and musical expression, propelled by an entrepreneurial zeal.

It wasnt until I finally started to explore my own individuality, that I was able to see the unlimited potential for my life. Now, not only could I change my world, I could change the world if I dared to dream big enough. So what about you? Who are you? Do you even know? What could you do with your life if you just dared to be unique and embraced your individuality?

I leave you with the following questions, dare you to find the answers, and challenge you to live out the greatness within you. Be Great at Something! TM

Life Changing, Individuality Discovering Questions

1. What do you do well naturally?
2. What do other people spend money, taking lessons to learn, that you already do effortlessly?
3. What do you consider fun that other people consider work?
4. What kinds of movies, books, activities, social groups, organizations, and hobbies do you generally gravitate towards?
5. What could you spend hours doing and loose all track of time?
6. What have been some of your life defining moments?
7. What are your natural gifts, talents, and abilities?
8. What would you do, if you knew that you could not fail?

R. Duane Huff is a professional speaker and the president of R. Duane Huff Presentations. To learn more about Duane and his new audio program, Be Great at Something: Find Your Passion. Design Your Life., logon to http://www.rduanehuff.com Duane can be reached by phone at (225 )772-3264, or by email at duane@rduanehuff.com

Success

No comments: